Bariatric surgery is a type of weight loss surgery that involves modifying the digestive system to help individuals with obesity lose weight. Body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more or a BMI of 35 or higher with obesity-related health issues such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea are standard criteria for recommending the operation. Bariatric surgery can be an effective tool for long-term weight loss and can lead to improvements in obesity-related health problems. However, like any surgery it carries risks and is not a guaranteed solution for weight loss. It is important for individuals considering bariatric surgery to discuss the potential risks and benefits with their healthcare provider and to make an informed decision based on their individual health needs and circumstances.
Bariatric Surgery Meaning in Urdu:
بیریاٹرک سرجری: ایک قسم کی وزن کمی کی سرجری ہے جس میں پیٹ کے نظام کو تبدیل کرکے موٹاپے سے متاثر افراد کی وزن کمی میں مدد کی جاتی ہے۔ عام طور پر یہ سرجری ان لوگوں کے لئے تجویز کی جاتی ہے جن کا بادنی وزن ان کے قد کے مطابق بہت زیادہ ہوتا ہے
Types of Bariatric Surgery:
Bariatric surgery has different types which your healthcare would advise:
- Gastric bypass surgery: During this procedure, a small stomach pouch is made and the small intestine is then directed to the pouch. In addition to reducing calorie absorption, this restricts the amount of food that may be eaten.
- Sleeve gastrectomy: A significant section of the stomach is removed during this procedure leaving behind a smaller sleeve-shaped stomach. This limits the amount of food that may be consumed and lowers the level of hormones that cause hunger.
- Adjustable gastric banding: In this procedure, a band is wrapped around the upper portion of the stomach to create a smaller stomach pouch. The band can be changed to limit how much food can be consumed.
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch: In order to decrease calorie absorption a significant piece of the stomach is removed during this procedure and the small intestine is then rerouted. Those who have a BMI of 50 or higher are frequently advised to have this operation.
Each type of bariatric surgery has its own benefits and risks and the choice of surgery will depend on the individual's specific health needs and circumstances. It is important to discuss the options with a healthcare provider to determine the best course of action.
Bariatric Surgery Side Effects:
Bariatric surgery, like any surgical procedure, carries potential risks and side effects. Some of the common side effects associated with bariatric surgery include:
- Nausea and vomiting: These symptoms are common in the first few weeks after surgery and are usually manageable with medication.
- Dumping syndrome: This occurs when food moves too quickly from the stomach to the small intestine causing nausea, diarrhea, and other digestive symptoms.
- Nutritional deficiencies: Bariatric surgery can lead to deficiencies in vitamins and minerals especially if the patient does not take appropriate supplements.
- Infection: Any surgery carries the risk of infection which can be serious in some cases.
- Gallstones: Following bariatric surgery; rapid weight loss can raise the risk of gallstone development.
- Bowel obstruction: This occurs when the intestines become blocked which can be a serious complication that requires emergency medical attention.
- Excess skin: Rapid weight loss after bariatric surgery can lead to excess skin which may require additional surgical procedures to remove.
It is important to discuss the potential risks and benefits of bariatric surgery with a healthcare provider before making a decision and to follow all post-surgical instructions and recommendations for a safe and successful recovery.
Bariatric Surgery in Lahore:
One of Pakistan's most esteemed facilities Integrated Medical Care Hospital (IMC Hospital) is renowned for its performance and exceptional outcomes in the field of bariatric surgery often known as weight loss surgery. One of the best bariatric surgeons in Lahore, Pakistan, can be found here.
Bariatric Surgery Cost in Pakistan:
IMC Hospital offers excellent treatments at competitive prices and is the top hospital in Pakistan. Visit today to book an appointment at Integrated Medical Care Hospital (IMC Hospital).
Dr. Zafar Iqbal Gondal - Chief of Bariatric Surgery (IMC)
MBBS(PB),MCPS(PK),FCPS(PK), MRCS (Ireland) FRCS (Glasgow) FEBS(Belgium) ,FACS(USA).
Areas Of Focus:
Expert in Bariatric, Metabolic /Weight loss, Foregut / GI Surgeries, and Laparoscopic surgery for surgical conditions.